Saturday, October 15, 2005

How many humans have died for dogs?

I'd wager quite a few. I don't see myself as an extraordinary person in any sense. I love my dog, I love living. I don't want to see my dog harmed (though I understand and I accept different species have different life spans) and I don't want to see myself harmed. These are basic emotional impulses. Intellectually, philosophically, I don't want to see anyone harmed (but I enjoy watching it when it's fictional or voluntary, interesting tangent not for the moment) and I do not want to harm anyone. But for some reason, my dog has instigated more potential confrontations than any other friend or relationship I've ever had.

People are stupid. I don't need to explain that, either you understand it or you are an example of it. Dogs are dogs, and a lot goes with that but I can't begin on that right now. So when dogs and humans interact ... an interaction that has been going on for the past ten thousand years ... there are many variables, and I'm sorry it's taking me a moment to get to my point but adrenaline doesn't facilitate direct deliverance of message (though apparently it's allowing for some nice display of vocabulary), however most negative results of the many variables are usually the fault of the human. Dogs are just dogs. Humans fuck up.

Even back before times of rifles and horses, imagine an American Indian who has befriended a wolf. They are against each at first but they overcome that and then hunt and play and live together. Then another human comes into the picture, the wolf has no bond with this new human, and the human moves to harm the wolf. This is a simple scenario, make the American Indian an Australian aborigine, an African tribesman, a Viking, a barbarian, a modern day American. The result is the same, the human bonded to the dog will fight for that dog against another human. Understand that. My title, how many humans have died for dogs, is a serious question that can never be answered, but it's also a serious warning, a threat if need be.

Anyone who knows me understands that I'm a big guy but I don't want to fight anyone. I live a nice relaxed life here in Pacific Beach where there are some tough guys and a lot of guys who think they're tough but most people make a effort to maintain or just go along with the peaceful attitude here. I suppose that attitude of relaxation is bound to provoke certain personalities into wanting to disrupt the order. Okay fine, most PB people understand and factor that in too. So what we live with is a lot of people who want to look tough to discourage confrontation but also want to not have to be tough because it's quite simply a better life. The trouble comes when two guys who both may look tough conflict and at least one of them isn't as tough as he looks. I'll admit that guy can be me at times, but I've never lost a fight. I've never really won a fight either, but every fight I've been in or was going to get in ended without a serious injury on either side and I appreciate that as a good thing. Hmm, let me think, yeah as far as I know all those guys are probably still alive. Heh. But just about all of those fights or threats were due to me or them, not my dog.

Today at Dog Beach, some asshole Larry told me my dog shouldn't be there. Larry was throwing a stick for his dog and Vegas wanted to play too. When someone doesn't acknowledge Vegas, or keeps a toy from her, or teases her, she barks at them not in an aggressive way but more like "Come on! Let's go!" So this guy isn't getting that and he tells me she's bothering him. I say sorry and try to discourage her from playing with him and his dog, but Vegas is really interested in the situation so she keeps at it. She's about two and half and she's never drawn blood on another dog through at least three times other dogs have had her down and drawn blood on her. It's okay, she's a dog, she healed just fine. But this asshole ... Maybe I should switch to dialogue:

"She's nipping at his head and barking."
"I didn't see her nip at him, she's never nipped at anyone."
"Well if I see her nip at him again I'm going to kick her head in."
"Well then your head is next."
"Okay."
"Yeah."
"My buddy is sitting a patrol car right over there, should I go get him?"
"Is barking a crime?"
"She's out of control and shouldn't be down here."
"She grew up here. I've never had a problem with her."
"We're all just trying to have a good time and relax."
"Myself included."
"Don't take it personally, it's not like I dislike your dog because of how she looks or something."
"You threaten me, you threaten my dog. I'm taking it personally."
"Well I'm just asking that you control your dog."
"I'm making an effort." The human barking went something like that.

Then a woman shows up with a pot-bellied pig and half the dogs on the beach go stomp it and sniff it while it squeals for dear life. Asshole Larry says, "See?" but I ignored him and grabbed Vegas off the pig. What the fuck does the woman expect bringing a pig to Dog Beach? I'd eat the thing myself. Well, anyway, I got over it while I was down there. Larry left and Vegas and I had a good time flirting with girls and playing with puppies. Dogs rule, humans suck.

Now I'm in the mood for some bacon....

1 Comments:

Blogger SamuRyan said...

Another nice little story, a couple months ago, some guy jogs by my fenced in front yard and my dog runs along the inside of the fence. The guy says, under his breath or just quietly, but loud enough for me to clearly hear, "Come over that fence and I'll kill you, motherfucker."

So, of course, I immediately say in a loud voice, "I'll kill you, motherfucker."
"You'll have to."
"I'm ready."

Why are people such assholes? He never broke stride and just continued running. I haven't seen him around again.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home